Friday, August 10, 2012

Summer Skiing

       Ever since I read that the ski lifts are open for hikers, I have been chomping at the bit to go check out our favorite slopes in their summer garb. Last Saturday I finally had the chance. While the resort may not be quite as exciting in the off season as it is when one can zoom down snowy slopes, it was definitely worth the drive.

Johanna and her friend speed down the luge. Whoever owns Col de la Faucille is trying to make it exciting in the summer. The luge was fun, but overpriced and lacking the athletic thrill of skiing. I'm just saying this because I think it's true; I didn't actually ride the luge myself, since I could walk down the hill. 

The view from the telecabine. I think that, in winter, this is the hill we  call the Big Blue Hill, to distinguish it from the one I prefer -- the Little Blue Hill.


       I was hoping that we could ride up the mountain in the chair lifts and enjoy the fresh air. Instead, the only things running were the enclosed telecabines. The view was still good, but the ride was kind of stuffy. I felt soft for riding up the mountain at all, as most people there were hiking both up and down. This is the kind of thing that always happens in Switzerland when we feel like we are doing something really outdoorsy and athletic. We head out to the mountains for an afternoon of strenuous hiking, only to find that all the geriatric Swiss and the moms with babies on their backs have already been both up and down the mountain several times.


The view of Lake Geneva from the top of the mountain.

Atop the Little Blue Hill
Same place as the above picture. Drew and Eric are relaxing and checking Olympic scores while Lucas climbs some rocks he found. We had no idea all those rocks were beneath the snow!

My favorite slope. We walked down this one.  Turns out, there's a whole road under the snow. It made me appreciate how much snow must fall each winter to completely change the look of the mountain.

        We marveled at the view of Geneva from the top of the mountain, tried (unsuccessfully) to find our house, and I shooed the children away from the edge. They kept saying, "It's not steep, Mom!" I kept saying, "I don't care. Move back!" I started to enjoy the hike more when we were far from any edges that anyone could conceivably tumble from. The outcroppings of gray boulders appearing amid the greens and pastels of the summer flowers were enchanting, as were the mossy trees. The best news of the day, however, was the fact that our favorite crêperie was open for business. I was also extremely proud of Eric, who has mastered some of the most important words in French -- those required to order his own Nutella crêpe
     
     
Lucas, Jo, and Ariana enjoy crêpes. They're good even in the summer!


1 comment:

  1. I am so the same way about edges. Even though I myself am pretty cool about an edge when it's myself who's near it, I get panicky and clutchy whenever someone I know goes near one (and I must say that my dad in this respect is THE WORST. He will stand by an edge, talking blithely, walking backward toward the edge as he talks, as if DARING that edge to jump up and suck him in.)

    ReplyDelete