Friday, September 9, 2011

I have a friend . . . okay, at least an acquaintance . . . and a little bit of a social life!

September 9, 2011
I have a friend . . . okay, at least an acquaintance . . . and a little bit of a social life!
                The big news, as you can see from the post title, is that I actually have a friend . . . or at least someone to talk to when we’re waiting to pick up the kids. We met the first day of school, because her daughter is in Luc’s class and we were both trying to figure out where all the English-speaking people were. Their family moved here just a few weeks before ours – from London, and she knows even fewer people in Geneva than I do, although she is closer to home. Anyway, we’re going to have coffee next week, and, considering that my life has centered around the four other Admiraals in town (I’m not complaining about that, by the way), a coffee date feels like a bustling social life.  But it gets better – IIL is also having a coffee for parents on Wednesday morning AND church Bible study starts on Thursday AND I have French lessons on Tuesday and Friday . . . so it seems that I am actually developing a life of my own.
                The irony of it all is that our long-awaited sea shipment is also scheduled to come this week, so I will have to find time to unpack all of our belongings. When it rains, it pours. I cannot adequately communicate, however, how delighted I will be to see my pots and pans.
                In other family social news, Johanna has been invited to a birthday party, and youth group activities begin at church this Sunday. Drew and Johanna will have a group called Fusion every Sunday night. I’m cooking lasagna this Sunday  for the group. (Note to self: In the future, consider waiting until the arrival of your dishes before you offer to feed a group of hungry teens.) Every other week on Friday, Lucas has FAT (which stands for something; I’m unsure what). And once we get truly moved in, we can start having people over, which will be nice. We’re looking forward to expanding the Admiraal group for the weekend as well – Eric’s parents are stopping in to see us and tour the Reformation sites in Geneva after spending some time in the Netherlands and Belgium.

No comments:

Post a Comment